Pages

20 July 2016

Thirteen Things I'm Looking Forward To in New York


Concrete jungle where dreams are made of...
 I am so glad I pushed my flight back from 26 July to 8 September, because let me tell you, the quicker 26 July approaches, the more I realise that I am completely starting to freak out.

But I also (at least at times) believe in the power of positive thinking. Granted, ~*~positivity~*~ is not going to cure my depression or anxiety or PTSD or anything like that. However, I think it's high time I remind myself that New York City isn't just there to terrify the shit out of me. There are a lot of cool things I'm really looking forward to seeing!

So I decided to list here, in no particular order, 13 of them. Why 13? Well, why not? And I promise that not all of these are going to be museums. (Although a great many of them are. It is me, after all.)

(All photos included are free stock photos in the public domain)

1. Hamilton Grange and Trinity Church


I'm including them together because they're on this list for the same reason: my admiration for Alexander Hamilton. Hamilton Grange was his last home (and iirc it's the last building standing that he lived in? Don't quote me on that) and Trinity Church is where he's buried. He's a very important figure in New York City's history, I've had a lot of respect for the guy since 2007, and I plan to hit both of these spots up in the same day - multiple times - to pay my respects. Sarah once said we could leave yellow roses and cinnamon pop tarts (don't ask) at his grave, and if I have the time for it I may even wanna volunteer at the Grange. Even though this list isn't in any real order, this one would deserve the #1 spot if it was.

2. The American Museum of Natural History


This museum, from what I know about it, has everything a natural history museum could ever ask for, and if I'm being perfectly honest my truest dream come true would involve working here. This museum - one of the largest in the world - has a world-class planetarium. They have a library. They have hundreds of well-made dioramas (how does one get the job of making those, I wonder?). They have cultural halls. They have gems and rocks and fossils and meteorites. They have dinosaurs. They have so much. And I wanna see all of it.

3. The Metropolitan Museum of Art


The Met is another huge fucking museum, so big that I've read it's impossible to see all of it in a day. I've wanted to visit this museum since I was a kid and I walked in on my mom watching the scene of "When Harry Met Sally" where they're making voices in the Egyptian exhibit. That wing is still a huge draw, but as an adult the exhibit here that most excites me is their extensive collection of historical clothes. I can't wait to see all those beautiful garments up close!

4. All the Polish restaurants!


 See? I told you this wouldn't be all museums. As a Polish person who is very proud of their culture, one major setback of living in California is the severe lack of Polish food. Not so in New York. A quick google search gave me Karczma, Krolewskie Jadlo, Little Poland, Pyza, Christina's, Veselka (which is technically Ukrainian but seems to have a huge following), and so so so many more. Many of these are in the neighbourhood of Greenpoint in Brooklyn, historically where many Polish immigrants settled, which totally shows in the culinary scene. It'll be nice, when I get a craving for pierogi or kvás, to be able to just go get some.

5. The Tenement Museum


Okay, another museum, but this one seems really cool! The 19th century immigrant experience - all the Polish, Jewish, Russian, Italian, Irish, and so many other immigrants pouring into the city and living in these cramped spaces - is really fascinating to me and oddly inspiring in a way? (In a 'if they can do it so can I' way.) And I've heard really good things about this museum, so I am eager to see it. I'm actually thinking of applying to work here, but I'd like to visit first.

6. The Lesbian Herstory Archives


New York City is not lacking in LGBT+ history. Stonewall is here, for fuck's sake, plus so many gay clubs. Just so many. I'm most looking forward to this one though, since it's all about lesbians, and also since clubbing is so not my thing. Not that a regular LGBT+ history museum wouldn't be great of course, but it's nice to have someplace just for your type of people, you know? I just really hope it's not TERF-y...

7. Fraunces Tavern


This one is both a restaurant and a museum! As a restaurant, it's been in business since colonial times - George Washington definitely drank here, and even used this location to bid farewell to his officers when the Revolutionary War ended. (So it's likely, although not proven, that Hamilton drank here too. At least he did in my Revolutionary War AU Gravity Falls fanfiction, hahaha.) It's claimed by some to be Manhattan's oldest surviving building, and so the history buff in me wants to go just for those reasons. But the menu looks pretty good too. I don't even need to have an entree (though if I did, I'd get a portobello "burger"). Just set me up with that cheese board and an Irish coffee after a day of Revolutionary era history (this would be a good place to eat after visiting Hamilton's home and grave) and I'm golden.

8. The High Line


From the moment I heard about the High Line I wanted to visit it, and every beautiful photo I see of it only confirms that wanting more and more. Basically, this used to be tracks for a freight train, but after that train line went out of use, the tracks themselves were just kind of left there to rot in the middle of Manhattan for years. Until someone had the frankly genius idea to turn it into a public park, one which goes over roads and by buildings and weaves throughout the middle of Manhattan. There are gardens and art installations all along the way. I really can't wait to walk the whole thing - it seems like a lovely stroll, and if I'm being perfectly honest I hope some cute girl takes me on a date here.

9. Chelsea Market


I love places like this. I call them "hipster food courts", and my own San Jose has a great one called San Pedro Square Market. But the Chelsea Market looks way bigger and way cooler. I definitely plan to explore it first chance I get. The website shows a long directory but even with that, I feel like this place needs to be experienced to be believed.

10. The Cloisters





Another museum, kind of (it's owned by the Met), but the Cloisters is (are?) so much more than that. Yes, it's a large collection of medieval artefacts, and the medievalist in me wants to go solely for that. I almost minored in medieval history and the Bay Area is sadly lacking in anything that could satisfy that interest in me. But the building itself is built in a medieval architectural style, with an authentically recreated medieval style garden. The photo opportunities seem incredible, and all articles I've read describe the place as quiet and calm, a peaceful retreat from the hustle and bustle of a modern city.


11. The New York Public Library


I love libraries almost as much as I love museums, but most of the ones around here aren't terribly beautiful. That's not true in New York. From the iconic lions out front to the Rose Room (pictured above), the main branch of this library is as beautiful and large as any bibliophile can hope for. And, as a bonus, they have small exhibition rooms so it technically functions as a museum as well. Since I won't have a lot of room to keep books in the tiny apartment, I imagine I will spend a lot of free time here.

12. The Botanical Gardens


I've actually never been to a botanical garden, even though I've always wanted to. Lucky for me, New York City has three of them. One in Brooklyn, one in Staten Island, and one in the Bronx. It'd probably be a logistical nightmare to try and see them all in one day, but I do plan to visit each one separately. I like plants a lot (even though I have trouble keeping them alive at home), and it's nice that I don't have to give up that interest even in a big city. And each one has something unique. In Brooklyn, I'm eager to see the Tropical Pavilion and the Shakespeare Garden most of all. In the Bronx, the old growth forest is what interests me most. And in Staten Island? Definitely the Chinese Scholar's Garden.

13. Historic Richmond Town


I guess this is kind of New York's answer to Colonial Williamsburg or San Jose's History Park? Historic Richmond Town is an 'open-air museum' - a collection of historic buildings staffed by reenactors trying to give you the experience of stepping back in time. Unlike Williamsburg, different buildings are from different eras, so you could poke into the late 1600s and then pop over to the mid 1800s. And, well, I've always wanted to time travel...

Honourable mention: Though it's not in New York, I do plan to take a train to New Haven, Connecticut, to pay my respects at Sarah Winchester's grave...

See? Now I'm excited again.
-Nym-

No comments:

Post a Comment