Pages

15 July 2016

That Time I Filled Out the Proust Questionnaire

I was looking through my old journals trying to find a recipe when I found an entry from last December where I filled out the Proust Questionnaire

Because why not, right?


If you're curious, read on, friends!

The principal aspect of my personality: I crave change and yet I fear change. And to quote, "I am human and I need to be loved just like everybody else does."

The quality I desire in a man: I don't date men, but in a male friend? Feminism. If he is not pro-woman he can stay far away from me; strange men frighten me. And that includes pro-trans-woman!

The quality I desire in a woman: Intelligence and the willingness to hold conversation about topics such as history or linguistics; loyalty; and of course I prefer my women to be slightly odd or even sometimes macabre...

What I appreciate most about my friends: Even in my darkest, most cynical times, they remind me that there is good in the world and hope does exist.

My main fault: I allow my fears and doubts to fester and paralyse me. But at least I'm self aware about it?

My favourite occupation: Writing. More specifically, knowing that something I have written has struck an emotional chord with someone.

My dream of happiness: I have a job that I like which allows me to share my joy of history with the masses and at least one published novel, with enough free time and pay to enjoy leisure activities. I live comfortably in an urban environment with a cat and a hedgehog and near my chosen family. I am safe and happy and no longer terrified of the future because I have carved out my own tiny corner of happiness. That's my dream. I don't need a lot of money, just that.

What would be my greatest misfortune? To allow myself to stagnate.

What I should like to be: Brave enough to love and take risks without being paralysed by my own depression and anxiety.

The country where I should like to live: America I guess, but a better America, one that actually practises what it preaches about 'liberty and justice for all.'

My favourite colour: Yellow and that really light turquoise/aqua blue. Tiffany blue, I think they call it.

The flower that I like: I have a sentimental attachment to both poppies and daisies, and I really like the Mystic Illusion Dahlias we have at work.

My favourite bird: Barn owls are the cutest, but I also admire the intelligence of corvids.

My favourite authors: L. Maud Montgomery will always hold a special place in my heart, but I'm also fond of Mark Z. Danielewski, Christopher Moore, and Libba Bray. In the blogosphere,I also like how Mallory Ortberg words things, and I must also give my love to Alison Bechdel and Jack Halberstam for queer stuff.

My heroes in fiction: From childhood, Gerda of "The Snow Queen", Anne Shirley, Alice Liddell, and - if I'm being completely honest - Pippi Longstocking! As an adult, Dana Scully.

My heroes in real life: Bill Nye, I suppose. And Jane Goodall. So many others I am forgetting. I also greatly admire Megan Rose Gedris, and I look up to my friend L----- a lot as well...

My heroes in history: Pharaoh Hatshepsut, Catherine the Great, King Jadwiga, and Alexander Hamilton. As well as all the proto-feminist Gibson Girls and Flappers who came before me! And, increasingly, Sarah Winchester - I admire her spirit!

What I hate most of all: Either deception or willful ignorance.

Historical figures I despise the most: I mean, obviously Hitler, but also Paul I of Russia (I've never forgiven him for that spiteful Salic Law!), and of course I'll never forgive that trigger-happy asshole Aaron Burr. Thomas Jefferson and John Adams were also assholes. There are a lot of assholes in history, unfortunately.

The military event I admire most: None of them tbh. I find the increasing militirisation of American culture completely disgusting.

The natural talent I'd like to be gifted with: If I'm being honest with myself, I wish I were more confident and charismatic, though I've gotten better at faking it.

How I want to die: Happy.

Faults for which I have the most indulgence: Over-excitement and frivolity.

My motto: As Sarah once said to me, "We are the writers of our own story. We choose how the story goes."

All in all, the Proust Questionnaire is an interesting exercise in self-reflection, and I highly recommend it to anyone who journals or blogs or just wants to try it!
~Nym~

No comments:

Post a Comment