Pages

25 July 2016

A (Not So) Serious Conspiracy Theory

I wanted to do this hot on the heels of my last post, about Marion "Daisy" Merriman, because this is kind of a follow up. And also, it's kind of not. This post is more about how the Winchester Mystery House came to be.


160 rooms. 40 bedrooms. 13 bathrooms. 6 kitchens. 3 elevators. Say what you want about the Winchester Mystery House, but you can't conceivably call it small. This mansion is ginormous, to the point where I still haven't seen every bit of it!

And part of the mystery is that we really have no idea why the house was built to be so big. Was Sarah Winchester building it to confuse spirits? Was she hoping to eventually move her whole family into the house? Did she just really like building? Was it conspicuous consumption?

Laura, a coworker of mine, offered (I assume jokingly) a different theory. A conspiracy theory, which I would like to submit for your consideration. Maybe... Sarah Winchester didn't exist! (Dun dun dunnnn!)

According to this "serious" conspiracy theory, the House was actually constructed by Marion, aka my beloved Daisy. She was only a teenager when she moved out to California, after all. What could she know about architecture and house building?

Again, look at that smirk. She knows something we don't, I'm telling you.
Where did the myth of Sarah Winchester come from, then?

Well, obviously, when questioned about the massive mansion, Daisy simply told people "It was my aunt."

"How come we've never met your aunt?"

"Oh, you wouldn't have. She's very reclusive," Daisy would say, holding back laughter.

"Well, then how come we haven't seen her out in the 18 acres of front gardens?"

"Oh, I doubt you would be able to spot her over the hedges. She's very short. 4 feet and 10 inches tall. You definitely would miss her because she's so very short."

...Okay, okay, I know, it sounds utterly batshit. When my coworker made this up, I'm 99.9% sure she was just joking around, as am I in making this post. No one could actually believe something so preposterous, could they? But then again, isn't that the fun of conspiracy theories? Don't we all relish in the idea that there's more mystery than meets the eye? Isn't it fun to consider the unbelievability of it all?

*cue "X-Files" theme song*
I gotta say, I'm more of a Scully than a Mulder with this theory. But it makes me laugh, nonetheless, and I gotta admire the creativity it took to come up with it.
~N~

No comments:

Post a Comment