Pages

17 April 2018

How to Time Travel to the 18th Century Right Here in NYC!


I know I post a lot about my occasional forays into the 18th Century, and I'm sure you're all quite jealous ;) Well guess what, all? If you're going to be in New York City next month, you will all have the opportunity to join me and my lovely friends - including the extremely wonderful Lindsey of Lindsey Loves History, and the talented Eliza of Silk and Sass  - at an 18th Century Themed event for for princesses and presidents alike!

Tickets for the first annual George Washington Inaugural Ball are now available on the event's website, and it promises to be an absolutely wonderful evening. Held at the historic 19th Century Federal Hall building (which itself was built on the site of the building where Washington was sworn in as our first president - did you know NYC used to be this nation's capitol?), the event will feature period food and drink, musical performance, and both historic-style and modern-style dancing. The dress code is either black tie attire OR your 18th Century best.

Lindsey sure as heck knows how to plan a fun event, and if you can join us there, I highly encourage it. (Those who are reading this blog from California or elsewhere in the world I am sorry - but you will be able to live vicariously through me as I do plan to blog about the event if possible!)

On Sunday, on the steps of Federal Hall, a group of us (Lindsey and Eliza included, as well as the Hearts of Oak - a historical reenactment group that Eliza and her fiancee are part of) held an 18th century flash mob on the steps of Federal Hall to raise awareness for the event. I certainly hope our flash mob was successful in raising awareness - I know I told more than a few curious onlookers why we were all dressed up in our finery and frills!

(Regretfully, I do not actually own any 18th Century period clothing. Luckily, in my college years, I was heavily involved in lolita fashion, and I figured this was the next best thing to at least look a little Georgian!)

Photo by the talented James Prochnik; dress by Japanese lolita brand Innocent World
Read on for a summary (and lots of photos) of last Sundays event, and then get your butt over to the ball's website and get your tickets before they all run out!


I was a bit worried on Sunday morning, as while it had been nice and warm on Saturday, Sunday's weather was cold and overcast, with promises of rain. Luckily for us, the spirit of Washington (or perhaps Hamilton, who I like to joke is like my guardian angel) must have been looking out for us, as the rain did not start until I was back in my apartment at the end of the evening. We were all freezing though.

(As you can see by the way we all huddled up in this adorable photo)
Still, despite the chill (which forced me to wear thick black tights rather than the lacy white ones I'd wanted to wear - though thick black is more historical anyway so it's okay) I think the event was a good one.

The men in the Hearts of Oak, dressed in their deep green 18th century uniforms, marched up and down Wall Street and entertained the crowd with performances of Revolution-era tunes on the fifes and drums. The rest of us held signs advertising the event, talked to curious passers-by about just what the heck was going on, and posed for at least nine thousand photos with tourists. (I may only be exaggerating a little bit here.)


I think we represented the 18th century well, too. Eliza, of course, was in a legendarily fancy dress that she has nicknamed "The Leviathan", but we also had someone interpreting a Riding Habit and someone else representing a more Spaniard way of fashion. (Names not used because I am not sure if these lovely ladies want me broadcasting their names all over the internet.) My dress at least had 18th century people printed on it if nothing else, lmao.

We stayed out there for as long as we could, but eventually the cold began to affect us a little too much. While the men continued to march and raise awareness, four of us (myself and the three fashionistas pictured above) went ahead to a nearby Mexican restaurant called Mad Dog & Beans to reserve a table for our whole group and warm up with some drinks. (Margaritas for some, just coffee for myself.)

Perhaps Mexican food doesn't seem 18th Century enough for some people, but you know what, Mexico existed in the 1700s, even if it was still colonised by Spain. (And we had a Spaniard with us so there.)

Anyway, the food was delicious and we had a jolly good time, so at this point, I don't even care if it was or was not "historically accurate". The food at the ball will be and that is the important thing, right?


After our rather late lunch, we realised it was still before 5:00 PM, meaning that the museum upstairs at my beloved Fraunces Tavern - itself an 18th century establishment that Washington and Hamilton both frequented - was still open.

So while most of our party regretfully had to leave, a group of us (myself, Eliza and her fiancee, Lindsey, and our resident Spanish woman - pictured up there in white and red) walked over to Fraunces Tavern and wandered upstairs to explore the Revolutionary War exhibits.

It doesn't matter how many times I go to Fraunces Tavern, or if I'm going to the museum or the restaurant or both. That is and will continue to be one of my favourite places in the entire city of New York. I have so many good memories there. It was one of the first attractions I wanted to see when I moved there, and has become a regular haunt for me and Sarah. We met actor Ian Kahn there, as longtime readers of this blog may remember. I also took my mother and cousin there when my mother was visiting me in February.


Even though we only went to the museum on Sunday and not the restaurant below, it was just as special to me since I was there with people I adore. I really am truly lucky to have made such wonderful friends in this city even though I've barely lived here for a year and a half, and - I'm gonna get really sappy for a second here - I treasure every moment I spend with them. The two new ladies who I had never met before are two who I hope want to be my friend as much as I want to be theirs. And, of course, I already love Lindsey and Eliza with all my heart and admire everything they do, and count myself entirely #blessed to have them in my life.

I captured this cute photo of Eliza with a sign that seems to have been made for her

Myself with my main man Nathan Hale
After this, as much fun as it had been, we were all exhausted and parted ways so we could all go home and rest. But I cannot wait to see them all again on May 11th for the ball - and I dearly hope to see some of you all there as well!

Once again, tickets for the George Washington Inaugural Ball can be purchased here. And I, for one, cannot wait for Friday, May 11th! Be there or be square!


Your favourite time traveler,
Nym

2 comments:

  1. Awww!!! I love your blog! I just stumbled across it and it's wonderful! I'm so thankful to call you my friend too, it's nice to have someone as kind and fun as you are in my life. We'll get you in 18th century clothing sooner than later!! Maybe do a Hearts of Oak event some time!

    <3 Eliza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eliiizaaaaa you're so sweet, thank you so much for commenting this! I see my blog as kind of a representation of who I am as a human so it really means a lot that you took the time to read and comment <3 Also you are free to dress me up however you like whenever you want (assuming we are both free that is), I am so there

      Delete