Pages

05 September 2017

A Short, Public Letter to Sarah Winchester

To the woman who changed my life on this, the day of your death


Yes, I already sent a private letter to your house back in San Jose. I already did a small ancestor-venerating ceremony and lit a candle in your honour this morning, making my whole room smell like apples and cinnamon, which I think you would have liked. I have written about you, visited your grave, and discussed you with other former tour guides at your mansion who are now on the East Coast. But I still wish to honour you in cyber space, and there's no better day to do it, since we don't know your birthday and all.

You're, like, my hero.

You were strong in your convictions, braver than I think most people realise, smart and sharp and clever, and through all your tragedies kind. I aspire to be even half the woman you were. Working in your house gave me the confidence I needed to be successful on the East Coast. I don't even know if I would have had the courage to do so if not for your example. I definitely wouldn't have found my place in the National Park Service if not for the confidence I learned from you.

It hurts me that people still disrespect you so, that even people that have seen the beautiful home you worked so hard on somehow can't see - refuse to see - what an amazing beautiful soul you were. But I see it, Mrs. Winchester. And lots of other people see it, too. You are loved, even 95 years after your death.

It seems... not entirely appropriate to wish you a "happy death day" but I do hope that if there is an afterlife, that you are happy in it with William and Annie.

-Nym-

No comments:

Post a Comment