Pages

05 September 2016

It's Sarah Winchester's Death Day

Today I went back to work.

Okay, that's not entirely accurate. I leave California in 3 days. As much as I wish I could stay at Winchester, I can't. But I did have to turn in my uniform so I could get my uniform deposit back. And I figured I would do it today, because today is the 94th anniversary of Sarah Winchester's death.

Rest in peace, you wonderful tiny woman.
Sarah Winchester passed away on 5 September 1922, of heart failure, in the beautiful mansion where I worked for about a year and a half. We don't know her birthday, unfortunately, but she would have been in her early 80s. In tribute, every year on this day, the House's bell is rung 13 times at the 13th hour - 1 PM. (I filmed it too.)

Last year, though I worked on 5 September, I had been on a tour when the bell was rung, so I missed it. I was determined not to make that mistake again. Knowing I had to turn in my uniform anyway, I decided to time it so I would get there just in time. I made my mom come with. She got to meet my boss in the gift shop, who said some very kind things about me to my mother and I nearly cried again. (I'm really really gonna miss my boss and all my coworkers...)

I got hugs from the other tour guides who I did bump into in the short time I was visiting, it was really nice seeing them again! And in honour of Mrs. Winchester's French heritage (on her father's side), my mother and I went to eat at the French restaurant across the street afterwards. (My mother is a huge Francophile so it wasn't that hard to convince her. Plus I'd never tried the place, so it was fun to try something new before leaving San Jose!)

But that's not the best part...

One of my coworkers (ex-coworkers technically, but it's difficult to get used to saying that), apparently brought flowers for Sarah Winchester in honour of her death day.

photo via one of the other tour guides
 There are daisies in the bouquet - Sarah Winchester's favourite flowers - as well as roses, which match the deep red colour that's prominent in the bedroom Mrs. Winchester died in. I thought it was a really sweet gesture on her part, and I wish I could have gone up into the House to see them in person, but of course I didn't even think to ask...

And I suppose people saw the flowers and started leaving her cards! Isn’t that just beautiful? Honestly, hearing that made me tear up a little...

If Mrs. Winchester’s spirit is still lingering, I’m sure she loved such a touching tribute. I’m so happy that this happened. I hope it becomes a yearly tradition.

As my mother drove away from the Winchester Mystery House and I gazed out the window at its beautiful, asymmetrical facade, it occurred to me that this was probably the last time in a very long while that I would see that beautiful building that holds so many dear memories for me. It was a bittersweet sensation. I'm going to miss it, but... I was happy, too. I'm happy I got to experience it. And I'm happy Mrs. Winchester's memory is still touching enough people that she is getting flowers and cards 94 years after her death.

It'll be only 3 days until I'm on the east coast near where she originally came from. It's time now to turn the page and begin a new chapter of my life.

Good bye, Sarah Winchester. Thank you for everything,
Nym

No comments:

Post a Comment