Pages

12 May 2018

Party Like It's 1789

Do you know those mornings after you were out half the night and you're exhausted and slightly dehydrated but you had so much fun that you're too happy to care about the exhaustion and dehydration?

Yeah, it's one of those mornings for me. Because last night was the first annual George Washington Inaugural Ball, a commemorative fancy fundraising event thrown by my friend Lindsey (of Lindsey Loves History) who is one of the smartest and most hardworking women that I have the pleasure of calling my friend. (Of course, all my friends are smart and talented and perfect in their own way but Lindsey def deserves a special shoutout here.)


It was a magical night filled with food and drink (for those who wished to partake) and fancy gowns (of both the modern and 18th century variety) and dancing and harpsichord music. And I am so lucky I have the friends I have and that I was able to attend.

The event began at 7:00 PM at Federal Hall National Memorial, on Wall Street. Federal Hall was chosen not for its old fashioned glamour (although it certainly has quite a bit of that) but because it's located on the site where George Washington was inaugurated as president on 30 April 1789.

It's a bit more well known than it used to be (thanks to the "Hamilton" musical) but still not overly well known that New York City was this nation's first capital. Washington's presidency began here.


As such, Federal Hall was the perfect site for this event as well, commemorating Washington's inauguration. And I think it went amazingly, personally. A few minor hiccups (which is to be expected with any event which is the first in a series), but nothing to hinder the enjoyment that I saw the guests feeling. Everyone was happy and having a good time.

Federal Hall is already so beautiful that it didn't need too much to transform it into a ballroom worthy of Washington himself. (Of course, to be fair, the man's tastes were said to be rather austere.) Tables and chairs were set out, the bar and buffet were set up, and I was one of the few placing electric candles (because we weren't about to burn down a historic building at a fundraiser for historic preservation, come on!) around the room for ambiance.


Entertainment for the evening was provided by the Hearts of Oak, whom long time readers of the blog will recognise from previous entries. Various musical instruments from the 18th century provided the soundtrack to much merriment - the harpsichord, as I mentioned before, along with a fife, a drum, and a violin for the 18th century country dances.

My dear friend Eliza, pictured above in the beautiful blue dress, even sang, as high class ladies in the 18th century would have done to entertain their guests. She also provided gowns for a couple of the other re-enactors. (I was in a modern slinky black gown but everyone told me I looked gorgeous so I'm okay with missing out on the historic gowns this time.)

(This time.)

My dance partner in the white, the talented Lindsey in the middle, and me on the right with the ugly purse
Eliza and her fiancee Erik lead the ball guests in a couple 18th century country dances, traditionally danced by a man and a woman of course, but I took on the "male" role and stood in a line of dudes in tuxes and breeches to dance with the lovely Albinoshadowfire (unsure if she wants her actual name used or not so just to be safe I won't)

I... was not the best dancer but I certainly wasn't the worst. I think we were just laughing too much to be able to follow the steps. And you know what? I wouldn't have had it any other way. We had a hell of a lot of fun, she and I. So in that sense we were the best dancers.

Well. The best along with these three
After the dancing and the singing wrapped up, most of the guests left. We stayed behind to help Lindsey clean up.

And to make sure none of the refreshments went to waste. It's what Washington would have wanted.
And then after that? I really should have gone home...

But instead we continued the party by walking down to Fraunces Tavern - much to the confusion of many passers by wanting to know why there was a squad of time travellers marching around the Financial District.

I didn't end up getting home until past 1 in the morning. And you know what?

Worth. It.

I already can't wait until next year.

Maybe next year I'll even attend in historical dress.


A big thanks to Lindsey for putting this wonderful event together. And I know she has big big plans coming up. I just feel so lucky to be able to come along for the ride.

-Nym

No comments:

Post a Comment