Pages

08 December 2016

Matcha Swedish Pancakes

I know, I know, I have been a bad blogger lately. One of my two jobs fell through and right now much of my time has been spent job hunting, which doesn't make for very good blog entries. And while I do still make it to many museums, I'm unsure how many people want to read yet another "LOOK AT THIS MUSEUM I WENT TO YOU GUYS" entry. What's a blogger to do?

How about instructions for a quick and easy recipe I make all the time?


Swedish pancakes are a bit time consuming (as are regular pancakes), but they're easy and delightful. They're thinner than American pancakes, though not as paper-thin as a crêpe, and rather than stacking them and drenching them in maple syrup, they're traditionally spread with butter and/or jam and then rolled up. Though you certainly can drench them in syrup if that's your preference. I won't judge.

The matcha flavouring is optional, too. I just happen to love matcha in everything. I love the slightly-earthy, slightly-sweet-but-in-a-bizarrely-umami-way flavour just a little bit of matcha powder adds to things. I love the eye-catching green colour, too. If I had it my way, I'd be having matcha something every day, whether it was a matcha latte, a matcha ice cream, or, well, these things!

It's easy for me to get a cheap tin of matcha powder - they sell tins of it in Chinatown - but if you can't find it or just don't like it, you can easily leave it out for regular Swedish pancakes.

So! Let's do this!


You will need:
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup milk
  • 4 tablespoons flour
  • 1 tablespoon matcha powder (or if you're not using it, 1 more tablespoon of flour instead)
  • 1/2 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 tablespoon melted butter
Now these measurements are more a suggestion than anything else. I actually tend to eyeball my amounts, so if a little more flour or milk gets in, don't sweat it. It's fine. You can also double the recipe if you're feeding more than 2 people.

What you're gonna do is as follows:
  1. Crack the eggs into a decent-sized mixing bowl
  2. Add the dry ingredients and stir/whisk  until they're blended with the eggs and the batter is somewhat thick.
  3. Add the milk and butter and stir until the batter is thin again. (Because the flour will want to clump, you may have to keep stirring the batter even as some of it is cooking in the pan!)
  4. Spoon a little into a pan on the stove until the pancake is the size you want it. When the surface bubbles, flip it over to cook the other side. I tend to make mine small for easier flipping.
  5. Repeat step 4 until the batter is used up.
See? Easy!






Now, I don't cook with ring molds or anything like that, so mine always turn out misshapen, but they taste great either way.

My favourite way of eating them is to spread berry jam on them and roll them up - the sweet tartness of the berries goes excellent with the bitter earthiness of the matcha! But when I made these for Sarah (I made hers sans matcha), she used maple syrup, though she still rolled them Swedish-style.

Nutella or peanut-butter or spekuloos spread would probably all also taste excellent.

If you try these, let me know in the comments what fillings you use, and how they work out for you!

-Nym

No comments:

Post a Comment