Pages

19 August 2016

Top 5 Eras of History I'd Like to Visit

I expect absolutely no one to be surprised by the subject of this entry. It's something that even casual history fans have considered. If you had a time machine that miraculously gave you immunity to any illnesses of the past and the ability to understand the language of where/when you would visit, where would you go? What would you do? While it is hard for some to narrow it down, I tried to. Here are the top 5 eras of history I would like to visit, and what I would do there (in chronological order).

1. Ancient Egypt 

The period of 'Ancient Egypt' actually covers an era of about 3,000 years so let's narrow this down: I would specifically like to visit during the 18th Dynasty, during the reign of one of my historical idols, Pharaoh Hatshepsut.

Things I'd do:
  • Visit monuments and temples (i.e. the Karnak temple complex) to see them in all their glory before time decayed them
  • Meet Pharaoh Hatshepsut. Tell her she's a BAMF.
  • Try to determine how much truth there is behind the Exodus story. (Personally I always liked the theory that it took place during the reigns of Hatshepsut and Thutmoses III, and I'd like to know if there's any truth to that theory.)
  • Shop in a street market for trinkets, jewelry, and food.
  • Attend a religious event or festival of some sort, since there's still so much we don't know about how those actually went down.

2. Viking Age Europe


I have been to historical reenactment events centred around the Viking era, so in a small way I have kiiiind of visited the Viking Age? But if I really could I still would.

Things I'd do:
  • Sample some skyr. I've had modern skyr; I wanna see how it's changed over time.
  • Visit a temple to at least one of the gods. Possibly talk to a seidh practitioner to see what that was all about historically.
  • Go sailing in a longship.
  • Attend a Thing.
  • This is kind of cheating, but go on a Varangian voyage to Byzantine Constantinople so I can see/experience that as well.

3. 18th-Century Revolutionary America


To the surprise of absolutely no one, I suppose. I know I could go see Versailles over in France as well, but I would never be able to keep track of the etiquette - they'd eat me alive! So the American Colonies it is.

Things I'd do:
  • Attend a ball - preferably one where I could dance/chat with some of my favourite revolutionaries. Like Alexander Hamilton and John Laurens.
  • Visit a coffeehouse, which would have been a way different experience than coffee shops are today.
  • Try on the latest fashions at Hercules Mulligan's shop.
  • Attend a patriot rally. Maybe attend a loyalist rally too, just to compare them. Might as well while I'm there.
  • Bring home some sweets or a handmade patchwork quilt or something like that.

4. Edwardian San Francisco


(Sadly, I cannot find any photos of myself from the Dickens Faire either year I went, so have this old-style portrait instead...)

Things I'd do:

  • Get an old tintype photo portrait taken of myself at a photo studio - I know San Francisco had them, since the wikipedia article about tintypes uses an SF tintype (of the Cliff House) as its example.
  • Attend the San Francisco World's Fair.
  • Visit the Cliff House and Sutro Baths before the Baths were ruins.
  • Have tea at the Palace Hotel.
  • Attempt to meet, befriend, and hang out with Marion "Daisy" Merriman, who was known to frequent the social scene in San Francisco.
  • Drive down to San Jose to see what the grounds of the Winchester House looked like back when Mrs. Winchester was alive, even if I'm phenomenally unlikely to ever see the inside.
5. 1920s New York City


Again, no one is surprised at this choice. You all know by now how much I adore the Roaring Twenties, to the point where if I had to pick only one of these eras this is the one I would pick without hesitation.

Things I'd do:
  • Brunch at the Algonquin, duh! (Yes I can still do that now. But it's not the same.)
  • Shopping! I love 20s fashion, so I'd love the opportunity to take home as many authentic clothes as possinle.
  • Go to the cinema to watch an old silent film that's now been lost.
  • Go to a speakeasy. I'm not a big drinker but I'd still like to go see what it's like, to dance and listen to jazz music.
  • Explore the 1920s lesbian scene, which was actually pretty big. Kiss a cute redheaded flapper girl if at all possible.

Well? What about you guys? Have I missed any important activities in my chosen eras? Which 5 would you choose if you only got 5?
-Nym

2 comments:

  1. Brunch at the Algonquin and sit with the Algonquin Round Table and have Dorothy parker make you laugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yessss! I have a book of some of her poems somewhere, she was a very witty woman!

      Delete